Get prepared for winter with this checklist:
Well I think I might be stating the obvious here, but the temperature has certainly dropped and it is officially cold outside!
So here at Canterbury Motoring World we want you to keep safe this winter and one way in which we can do this is by providing you with some handy car checks to keep in mind during these cold months ahead.
- Make sure all the lights on your car work, this will not only enable on coming vehicles to see you better but also prevent you from getting rear ended by other vehicles.
- Replace your windshield wipers before the cold sets in and we suggest leaving them up on those nights where the temperature drops bellowing freezing as this will prevent the wipes from freezing to the window…that is the last thing you want to be faced with in the morning when rushing to work!
- It is also important to check your car’s battery life; remember a dead car battery equals a dead car.
- Regularly check the tyre tread on all 4 tyres on your car in order to prevent slipping and sliding across the road in icy conditions. It may seem like a bit of hassle to check all your tyres but driver’s skidding on ice is a big killer on our roads during the winter months so please be as careful as possible and it is always better to be safe rather than sorry.
- Get your brakes checked and serviced as braking in wet or icy conditions is a lot harder than normal. Remember the braking distance increases? Using some classic driving test knowledge there!
- Try to occasionally rotate your tyres to make sure they all get worn at an even rate.
- Regularly check and change your water, oil and oil filter. You do not want to get caught out in the bad weather.
- Another top tip is to make sure you keep in your car an emergency winter car kit! This should include spare blankets, some water and non-perishable food. Breaking down when it is freezing cold can lead to devastating consequences if you aren’t prepared.
- Lastly, if we do get a decent snowfall this year, only drive when necessary. If you don’t have to make that journey, head out and build a snowman instead!!
Author: Rebecca McGinty